At Grady Homes we like to ensure that all of our client’s needs are met, and that includes altering floor plans and building homes that make living just that bit easier for the disabled or elderly.
If this is something you need included in your home design, your Grady Homes consultant can assist you with amending or creating floor plans that meet your specific needs.
This may include (but isn’t limited to):
- Allowing ample space in hallways, kitchens, doorways and bathrooms for wheelchair access – This is most significant in the bathrooms, where doorways can sometimes be a little narrower. Other doorways in the home may even need to be slightly larger than standard.
- Handles, specific tap wear, and lower tap positions to aid with bathroom access and usability – This includes items such as hand rails in showers and above baths.
- Ramp access to home and garage – the exposed aggregate path to the front porch needs to have a ramp that meets flush with the porch.
- The porch and patio slabs may need to be raised so the step down from inside the home is minimal.
- The step into the home from the garage also needs ramp access.
- Ramp access to the yard space from the laundry/patio, potentially including hand rails.
- Suitable interior flooring for smooth wheelchair access that is low maintenance and easy to clean.
- Kitchen plans suitable for wheel chair access which may include lower bench tops.
- Ensuring electricity outlets and light switches are within easy reach.
- Ample storage space in easy to reach locations.
- Potential double door access to rooms where a hospital bed may need to get in and out.
- Noggings in the ceiling to allow for slings/handles to pull yourself out of bed.
- Minimising glass in the bathroom showers so that wheelchairs can go in and out easily.
- 15amp powerpoint for hook up of emergency medical equipment at the bedside if required.
- Larger garage to accommodate vehicles with wheelchair access.
This is not a definitive list of possible alterations you could make to your home design, so we encourage you to discuss your exact needs with your New Homes Consultant to get the best design outcome for you.